Saturday, February 26, 2011

And STAY out.

I gave Disqus the heave and the ho. I got three complaints, and the last one was Annie. No one was thrilled. Naturally, I lost some of your comments. If you don't see yourself here, be here anyway - I didn't delete anyone and I'm sad not to have your funny, thoughtful, and useful comments here. Blogger commenting is clunky and awkward, but it's reliable. Like the AMC Pacer.

I got an email from Elaine - a full-time boater - chock full of interesting and useful stuff. Coincidentally, I recently got a REQUEST for more potty talk. Thanks, Elaine, for writing this blog post:

Hello again---I seem to lose you then find you ----your email arrives but I'm confused by exactly what it is you are doing---except now I know that you have learned how to shower with a garden sprayer. Paint it black and set it in the sun once you are in warmer climes and you will have endless hot water for many tasks. As boaters as well as RV'ers we have learned many tricks from our fellow travelers. Boaters are extremely inventive folk---I think you two would love the boating life from what I have read of your driveway adventures so far! Once you start to travel check out Marina's once in awhile----many often have an RV hook up or two---usually not advertised but rentable none-the-less. You will meet some interesting folks and may get bitten by a water bug. You will at least meet some great characters who love to talk about their boats and boating.

On to the reason for my note here -----I have discovered a great source for coconut coir for the composting toilet. You may be perfectly happy with the peat solution and that's fine. For us on the boat we find that space is at a premium (25 footer) so even 2 cu. ft of peat takes up well---2 cu.ft. Quite by accident I discovered that pet shops sell coir in their reptile department----who knew? Neat little bricks of the stuff that we can buy one or two at a time ands store in various nooks and crannies on the boat.

I keep finding and losing your blog----will I ever be able to keep up with technology? Doubt it. But I enjoyed our initial contact and hope to keep in touch in spite of my ineptitude----or perhaps it is just my 'tude' in general.

Did you know that if you have a crockpot and keep it filled with water and turned on all day you will have a cheap source of hot water on demand and can turn off your hot water heater?

That's it for this go 'round---hope you will soon be able to get up and go--let the adventures begin!!! Is it still snowing where you are?

11 comments:

Merikay said...

Hmmm. Thats a neat trick with the crock pot! Boats are like RVs except it's harder to take a walk in the morning.

Gail Houle said...

Yeah! You know I'm not crying about Disqus.
Blogger knew who I was right away :)

That was a clever idea about the crockpot. We could probably learn a lot from boaters. A whole new world of blogs to read!!! I'll never catch up.

pidge said...

No, not snowing in Southern Texas, but we will leave on next Saturday. Won't be in Lake City till the middle of next month, and will be staying for a month, so if you two get there before we leave, give us a holler and we will catch a meal and some conversation together.

dirtyduck said...

she liked your potty talk alright! thats a really nice comment/letter..but i dont see the part where she specifically ASKS for more potty talk....i think yourre dreamin' potty dreams

¡Vizcacha! said...

Pidge - definitely! Lake City isn't yet one of our favorite towns; we could use an attitude adjustment about it.

DD - Silly duck! No, Elaine didn't ask for potty talk, it was another reader and just because I can't find it and prove it doesn't mean it didn't happen! Or, maybe I really WAS dreaming potty dreams. It seemed so real!

Anonymous said...

It's about frikkin' time !! At least PANTS has an ounce of smarts regarding Blogging !! hehehe

RVVagabond said...

Hi! Simply returning a comment since you stopped by. Denny and I enjoy Los Algodones, especially the fish taco stand just off the main drag. So far it's still safe and since so many Americans go there there is safety in numbers. After just crossing over to Nuevo Progresso out of Texas for a visit last week, I can tell you we much prefer Algodones.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Thanks, Vagabonds. I'm glad you stopped by. I'm glad to get your feedback about Algodones. A lot of people wouldn't cross the border for anything, but many people feel quite safe. I think it makes sense to consider both sides (of the border :D).

Sassy: [razzberry]

Merikay: Haha! You wouldn't want to be a sleepwalker, either.

Gail & Rick: Okay, okay, you win! It made me uneasy to have our comments hosted on another site, but I did like the easy interactivity. Oh well. More important to keep Pants (and you!) happy.

Kimbopolo said...

Ahhhhh, much better! I didn't say anything (I prefer to save my complaining for truly threatening situations, generally speaking) but I didn't like the past blog format either.

Congrats Again on Your Retirement, Annie!

Pat said...

I leave water bottles in my car all the time. (I know I shouldn't have any at all since they are not reusable) But, as I finish my story I always have hot water in my car.

¡Vizcacha! said...

Pat, I have always thought of that hot water as an unfortunate result of forgetting to bring in the bottle, but, Hey! Good idea!