Monday, February 27, 2012

Parker Posies

We're still in the area, and I was in the mood for something people-y. Not a gala, but something to do in town. I stopped into the Chamber of Commerce and they told me to get my pale, feathery behind out the door and onto an ATV if I planned to keep showing my beak inside city limits. Really, they never even showed their own beaks, so I stole a bunch of their information and left. HAHA! I really screwed them.



Photobucket


I'm being catty about Parker, but it has a lot of outdoor activities available. It's right on the Colorado River. It's surrounded by BLM land where you are permitted to make a lot of noise late at night and drive noisy vehicles through RVers' personal space.


Photobucket



And, if you pay for a special permit, you're also allowed to walk around the desert with a stick.*



Photobucket



Once Sunday night rolls around, peace prevails and the less-fortunate go home, throw some dirty clothes into their electric laundry bucket, and get ready for work.


Photobucket



I think we're mainly here waiting for mail, but it's a nice spot to be boondocking, so why not?


Photobucket





*I'm lying. ATVs do have to pay for a permit, though, which is probably why their engines are so whiney.

19 comments:

Michael Ultra said...

You always make me laugh with your superlative descriptions. Electric laundry bucket, indeed. Strap on that .45 and tell those claim-jumpers to 'hit the trail'. (just kidding, but it is Az)

The Good Luck Duck said...

Git on yer way, ya mangy varmits! Like that? I was doing Yosemite Sam, I think.

Jerry and Deb said...

I LOVE your flower pictures. We haven't seen too many - are these in town or in the back country. However, I guess you have to get out to see them...LOL. You have a great sense of humor - keep it shining! Quack, Quack ~ Deb

The Good Luck Duck said...

Thanks! These guys were all in the outback. They're so tiny I have to take their picture to know what they look like.

Sherry said...

Great pictures. Love flowers even prickery ones. But ATVs BLECK........SQUAWK!!

Donna K said...

I was so impressed with your flower photography that all my smart remarks just vanished right out of my head! Beauty does that to me...

Gaelyn said...

You could go up river of Havasu City and listen to jetboats instead.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Sherry, I know! I was quacking in distress all weekend.

Donna, when you come to, come back and be smart all you want. And, thanks.

Whooboy, Gaelyn. That sounds...uh...maybe I'll go during the week.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Oh, I forgot to admit that the awesome cactus shot is Annie's.

TravelingLongdogs said...

Fantastic photos. Some of the those ATV riders are probably RVers too. It surprising when you read some of the blogs. They can be a lot of fun but I am not a fan of the noise either. Head out on the weekend to see other sites and stick around the casa during the week to enjoy the tranquility.

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com

The Good Luck Duck said...

You're probably right about that. At least the loudest group also brought a travel trailer with them so they didn't have to drive home drunk, only over the hills. Someone dying by rolling down a mountain into the Duck would be SO inconsiderate.

This is a good idea. We'll implement it.

Laura said...

Love the beautiful flowers - especially here in snowy Canada! The ATVs would drive me CRAZY! I hate those smelly, noisy things.

Karen and Al said...

Beautiful flowers. I hate loud ATVs, Airboats, mowers or leaf blowers....

¡Vizcacha! said...

Laura and Karen, I'm right there with you. I don't even like vacuum cleaners.

Roxanne

Unknown said...

You know you are in the wild west and weekends are for lettin' loose for those poor suckers who still have jobs. But dagnabit those critters should do out of ear shot of the peaceful people. :) Thanks for my daily chuckle.

The Good Luck Duck said...

I know you're right, and it's only my PROFOUND AND ABIDING COMPASSION for these varmints that gives them a pass.

Plus, I rode one once, and it was fun. :D

Contessa said...

Parker is a good hangout! Good booze prices at the Safeway!!

TexCyn said...

There's a guy in the neighborhood here that has a souped up golf cart. I love using the macro shot on those tiny flowers - like you, I have to do that so's I can see's 'em!

The Good Luck Duck said...

Heeyy! That's something I can do for entertainment, and they didn't even mention it at the Chamber of Commerce. We haven't checked out the booze at the Safeway yet, although I'm still all agog that we can buy liquor in a grocery story. All hail Arizona!

Ha, Cyn! A souped-up golf cart. Does it reach speeds up to 15 m.p.h.? I kinda think it's neat when people can use a golf cart to get places instead of firing up a car. And, I love my macro setting! It opens up new worlds.