Thursday, March 29, 2012

Oh, Mexico (NSFW)

Photobucket
The monkey you'll buy







Photobucket
The taxi you'll hire (all five of you)



Photobucket
The soldiers you won't photograph



Photobucket
First bass
Photobucket
Vegans eat free in Mexico.
I'll delete any comments that insinuate these chips were fried in lard. Two Coronas and lunch: $4

Photobucket
Margaritas as big as your head.  They left before we noticed any distress.



Photobucket

Photobucket
"... now I don't work there anymore."


Photobucket
Duck in here for vendor respite

Speaking of respite, we think we had it figured out while we sat in front of Algodones Optical. Vendors were walking past us as though our money were invisible.  It seems like there must be some kind of "understanding" between the shop and the street vendors, even though one petite woman did invite us to buy.  Still, it's worth keeping in mind, if you're weary of smiling "no thank you."

Annie was looking for a certain article of headwear (spoiler alert:  she bought it), and a street vendor was happy to help.  He made his lowest offer, and Annie made hers, and hers won.  She haggled!  I was so proud I could have squeed.  

This was our best and most fun Mexican visit so far (we've had three).  We may have accidentally flirted with some men, but that's what happens when you make eye contact and smile.  Magnetism like this can't be fully contained.  

Annie got "seƱored," and she's used to it.  She frightens women in the ladies' room with her short hair and super-aggressive swagger.  We got "sistered" by an American;  that's lesbian code for "you've been made."  It's kinda nice to be recognized, since I "pass" all the time without intending to.  It's another casualty of middle-age.

Having figured out how to have the most fun (Corona), I was sad to be done with Los Algodones for now.  Hasta luego, Mexico!

P.S.  We found out you can even haggle at the pharmacies.  Score!

"Mexico" - James Taylor

22 comments:

Sherry said...

Me, I'm not insinuating nuttin.....but most of thoise casualties of middle age are not so bad me thinks. Think I'll have to bone up on my haggling if I ever get to go south of the border.

Brenda A. said...

Our last trip to the border town of Nogales they did more then just flirt to get us in their shops. They gave us shots of tequila! And if they were REALLY determined, they gave us shots of a much better quality (not that we fought much). Whoo boy where we ever toast by the time we headed out of town!

Merikay said...

Love the monkey!

The Good Luck Duck said...

Sherry, I find most of the trappings of middle-age to be a relief. Haggling - you just thank them and walk away, and the price keeps dropping.

Wow, Brenda, I'm such a lightweight I'd need the ambulencia by the third shop. Or else I'd be in a country/western song.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Isn't he funny, Merikay? I think I'd prefer one you made, though.

swankiewheels said...

I AM NOT buying that money... unless for my son who appreciates the guady (spelling?).

The Good Luck Duck said...

Oh, Swankie, you say that now. Wait until you see him in person.

stillhowlyn said...

Patos (not pate, that's goose) de buena suerte...In Algodones!

Bob said...

Your monkey is mighty fine looking. Could use a little more hair in some spots.
Best NOT to be taken out of context.
Of course you're too far away to give me the indignant look, or worse yet, the *slap*
*Ow*
Hey!

Not sure if I'll ever get there, but it's fun to look at the pictures.

I'm talking about Mexico.

Gaelyn said...

Isn't haggle a Mexican word. Love the hat. You ate at my fave place. Keep the monkey.

Oreta!

Page said...

I won't say anything about the chips, but you will be happy to learn that the Coronas were vegan.

http://www.barnivore.com/products/668-corona#

I use this website quite a bit. Who knew that fish guts are used in a lot of booze??

Joe said...

I don't think I would be able to get my wife to Mexico. The place makes her nervous. But I would like to check it out! Oh well...
Nice monkey! :)

Isherwood Wildwalker said...

Rumor has it, back in the dark days of the 1980's, an enlisted guy could get to second bass with a Sister Boogie Woman after fashioning four empty margarita glasses into two optical head wear devices... because everybody loves a man in a uniform. At least that's what the Gang of Four tell me.

/end obscure 80's references
//need less coffee
///need more slash marks

Contessa said...

Cool!! Haggle in a pharmacy!

I prefer to believe that the topos were baked!

Andra Watkins said...

I need to go to a place with margaritas as big as my head. Now. Today. How do I get there?

:)

I have a hat just like that one. I bought it off a street vendor........in Canada...........

The Good Luck Duck said...

The overnight hilarity and awesomeness is overwhelming me! I shouldn't stay away so long.

Stillhowlyn, I need to remember that phrase! No geese - who likes them??

Bob, you're a funny, funny man. I take back the slap.

Gaelyn, I need to know what "oreta" means! I probably want to start saying it. Alas, the monkey had to stay in Mexico; there were documentation issues and I was deemed an unsuitable sponsor.

Page, that's a terrific reference - thanks! I had no idea about fish guts!! Annie just checked out all my favorite hooch, and it looks like I'm good.

Joe, we were nervous at first, too. But, we talked to so many RVers - mostly women - who had crossed many times with no untoward results that we got desensitized. The vendors made me nervous at first, but we just learned to smile and say "no thank you." Just a lot of people trying to make a living. There are people everywhere, and we felt quite safe.

Ish, those are a LOT of references (and slash marks). I especially like the sly Tomlin reference - very well done.

Contessa, I like baked as an option, too. I'm going with it. And, our haggling was accidental - Annie said to me "It was $___ next door," and the woman said "same price!" So there we were, Accidental Hagglers.

Andra, due south won't work as well for you, but there are ways! Do you suppose Annie's hat was made in Canada, or that yours was made in Mexico? We can feel fairly certain neither were made in the US.

The Odd Essay said...

You just gotta keep in mind that border towns are neither Mexican nor Gringo... they have a life all of their own... not bad... just.... different. You can eat the food.... and buy the drugs... just don't drink the water. (drink lots of beer instead)

The Good Luck Duck said...

True, Sharon. We knew better than to expect Mexican culture there.

Thank you, John!

LG61820 said...

I'd almost bet that I have been called sir more times than Annie, it's one reason why I've let my hair grow long. However, I was recently asked "can I help you sir?" in Home Depot. I have hair grown out halfway down my back.

Thank goodness not all men see me as masculine, but it does bother me that some do as I am unapologetic in my preference for the "you know what".

The Good Luck Duck said...

For the monkey?

I imagine that the ones who see you as masculine are already more of a "you know what" than you need to deal with.

Anonymous said...

I've never really been, and I used to think I didn't want to go. Lately, though, I've become really curious about South of the Border. Also, oh my GOD THE MONKEY.

Gaelyn said...

Oreta = sooner, or, later, maybe.