Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bits and pieces.

When Annie wants to say something, she'll say it. Maybe when I'm asleep, because she can't get a keystroke in edgewise.

Thanks, Bleen (reading by syndication), for checking my math. Also, other people reading the LJ syndication, don't be offended if I don't comment right away - I forget to check it, and I don't get notification. Thanks Lora, for pointing me toward a great blog, RV Dreams. I've added it to the Things We Read list.

I like this site because the owners started off as inexperienced as we are, and have laid out their education in a very helpful way. The forum seems to be very polite, and courtesy rules. They have detailed their monthly expenses; I would not consider them frugal RVers (at around $2500/month), but it's a style that works for them. It's all relative, though, since many people think they need to spend $5-7k a month on a "simplified" lifestyle. I don't mean to dis that approach, it's just foreign to my wallet.

For ideas on thrift, Frugal RV Travel outlines exactly how they spend 40% (around $1000/month) on their travel, while not skimping on the miles.

Barb asked by email whether we will consider campgrounds while we're deciding where to settle. Definitely. Also, and even preferably, boondocking [lingo alert]. This is also called dry-camping, where there are no hook-ups, so we have to be somewhat self-sufficient.

Campgrounds can run $30 a night, which is fine now and then, but not regularly. Monthly rates are better, which might be an option when we get to a place we'd like to get to know better. Boondocking would likely give us more privacy, better views and less (no) expense, other than our propane for appliances and a little gas for the generator (pre-solar).

The longer we think, the more we like the idea of extending the transition. I don't mean from two weeks to two years ... or do I? I don't know. At some point, we'll run out of money (that's the two-week mark) and we'll need to rethink the strategy. I don't see myself as a permanent nomad, but then I've never done this before.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Both "boondocking" and "dry-camping" sound like euphemisms for ... something.

¡Vizcacha! said...

It's true! They're actually euphemisms for "dear god I'd kill for TV!"