Friday, January 14, 2011

Mangled.

I've been looking at this hand clothes wringer, and I went looking for the owner of the company who sells them, Get Prepared Stuff.
Photobucket

His name is Grant, and he was extremely responsive to my questions and comments. Here is what he says about the wringer:


Thanks Roxanne,
The wringer is a good product and I've sold a lot of them unfortunately the cost is rather high and the two people that have commented were those that had less than stellar experiences with it.
The wringer is made in the USA from a design that hasn't changed in close to 80+ years. As far as a wringer goes it works quite well but the problem many have is that it doesn't work well on certain clothes such as jeans, overalls or other such clothing items that have buttons, zippers, snaps that bind up on the wringers rollers and prevent them from really "squishing" the water out around those areas of the clothing.

Wringing is a two step process where you run the clothing item through once to get a good amount of water out and then you tighten down the wringer even more and run the clothing through a second time which gets the most water out. This second time through is essential but it is the hardest to do for jeans and those types of clothing mentioned earlier because the tightness of the rollers prevent those clothing articles from going through without loosening the rollers over the rough spots.
The other problem with wringing is the stable and firm platform needed to clamp the wringer onto. When you tighten the rollers as tight as they should be the resistance to turning the handle on the wringer is quite stiff and it takes a good amount of torque to turn the handle. If the wringer is clamped down to a simple galvanized tub or other flimsy surface which doesn't provide enough rigidity to be able "put your back into" turning the handle you'll not be able to tighten the rollers down enough to get the most water out of the clothes.

There was one comment that a little clip would come off a pressure plate on the clamps foot and this is a known problem that can occur if you are moving the wringer around or clamping it on and then taking it off it's location. I've discussed this with the manufacturer and they are working on a redesign to hopefully fix the problem. The issue is that when unscrewing the clamp the pressure plate if it's at an angle can bind up with the "E" clip and twists the clip right off the end of the screw. If your wringer is not left on a fixed location this would be more of a problem because of all the clamping and unclamping than if it was left affixed to a single location.

That's the wringer in a nut shell.

If you have anything else I can help you with feel free to ask anytime.

Best regards,
-grant
I'm not positive that this is the right product for our needs, simply because I won't have that type of stationary object to clamp it to, and it seems to need that stability in order to put a shoulder into the job. But I like his style and his willingness to spend this much time explaining a product to one person. I didn't feel sold-to, and I'd like to think his responsiveness would extend to issues with purchased products.

13 comments:

Travels with Emma said...

Wow! Is that what you're considering for doing your laundry?? Good luck, duck! :)

¡Vizcacha! said...

Hee! Yeah, it is.

Gail Houle said...

At the risk of REALLY dating myself, that's the exact type of wringer found on washing machines my grandmother and my mother used to use(when I was really, really young :) )
It was the best available back then and, until the spin washer, did a pretty decent job of wringing out the water. I wouldn't be at all concerned about the buttons and zippers on the jeans. They will be drip dried anyhow. The lack of a permanent, strong stationery object would be difficult to overcome, however. How about the back bumper :) It's not going anywhere :)

¡Vizcacha! said...

Gail, my mom used one, too, so we're dating back to the same town of Bedrock. I was thinking about the bumper, too, but I'll have to look at how it's configured (probably has to have an edge coming up vertically?). You're right - it's the most logical place.

Merikay said...

Rae at http://travelswithmiranda.uskeba.ca Has written about a washing machine she uses in her rig. You would have to have her point you to the right blogs, but her blog in general is very helpful.

dirtyduck said...

my fave armageddon site is beprepared.com, but ill go check out your "the world is going to end soon" store right now:)

dirtyduck said...

btw i loved the walrus pics!!

Tesaje said...

Whew! Really makes one appreciate modern washing machines. I remember one of those PBS historic reality shows. Doing the laundry 100 years ago was a 3 day backbreaking job they did every week.

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

Well, personally, I think the bucket you tried before is a lot more stylish. I LOVE that the owner of the company was HONEST!! What a great guy!

Well, since the wringer idea isn't working too well, you could consider getting a pet elephant to sit on your wet clothes to squeeze out the water. Don't tell dirtyduck. She might actually add one to her menagerie :) hehe!

Anonymous said...

The Ducks have gone completely quacky now for sure !!! LOL

Four Windows with a View said...

Is there room in your RV to have a washer/dryer installed? That's what I want because I detest laundromats and some of the options you're coming up with don't look too promising. You are thinking outside of the box and I guess that's a good thing.

¡Vizcacha! said...

Favorite Armageddon store ... ahahahahaha! That's perfect! I'll go check out your end-of-the-world store next.

Tesaje, PBS has asked to do a documentary on me. They're considering calling it People Who Go Too Far.

Nellie, I think I would have to let my clothes get a lot dirtier before putting an elephant's butt on them would improve their condition. Maybe DD already has an elephant I could borrow.

Ha, Sassy - we've quacked up.

Jeana, there is a Bendix here now that doesn't pump water out. It's unvented, which means it uses water to wash, plus uses water to dry, plus a lot of electricity to do both. Our goal is to do a LOT of boondocking, maybe one day find a piece of desert to call our own and let our wheels rot off. Or, you know, not. But, I'd like to be slightly more self-sufficient, and slightly less dependent on a source of water that may not be so plentiful, and electricity that may not be so easy to come by. That's why I'm dreaming and trying all these whacked-out ideas. The idea of minimalism feels really right to me, and my plan is to find out just how much minimalism I can stand!

I hate laundromats, too, so I hear ya.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Merikay, thanks for that lead. I'll go look around for her laundry set-up.