Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Things I Have Learned

Meeting all those RVing women was a lot of fun;  Georgia was heavily represented in this meet-up, but Texas got the most volume. I learned things:

1) you might accidentally find your class of '74 college roommate at an RVing women meet-up
2) puttin' your boots in the oven don't make you a biscuit.

Karen is a local, and she showed us an area that she thought we'd enjoy.  We do!  A cheerful little stream runs right past the Duck's bill, and there is forest all around.  I wanted to be able to use our iPad app that lets us send our exact location to friends via email.  So, this morning I wandered out into the road in my pajamas to see if I could get any 3G signal, but then I thought I heard a car coming.  I saw the whole thing through their eyes: Yankee drives enormous RV deep into the national forest so she can look for Internet. Y'all.  I ran behind a tree.

These are things I have already learned about a mountain forest:

1) dawn comes early, but sunrise comes late
2) the creeks stay on all night
3) there is no Internet

It was sad to say goodbye to Darlene and Nicole - I got attached to them like a Georgia tick in a town without Vick's.  I hadn't imagined meeting new people to have to say goodbye to.  

Blogger says I can email this post, including pictures.  I'm skeptical.  

(ETA:  I was right to be skeptical.  I added these shots manually.)

Photobucket




Photobucket


Photobucket




Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket




16 comments:

MariaB said...

I do not see the pictures :-(

I think it's great that you are meeting new people worth missing once you say good-bye. Good people like you should never run out of other good people to meet and enjoy on the road.

Thanks for posting - we are avidly following your adventures and eagerly await every new post.

Love, M&M (Syracuse version)

¡Vizcacha! said...

They are not seeable! Stupid Blogger.

New friends are good. Old friends are really good. Silver, gold, etc. I'm feeling a little melancholy today, missing all you guys. EVEN THOUGH I am eating a Frosty and enjoying free wifi. [I first typed "free wife."]

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

You did some serious learning in Georgia. Cracked me right up! Hopefully we can see the pics on wgs. We sure can't wee them here!

It's been years since I said good bye. I was raised on
"Ba maa pii" "Til the next time!"

The Good Luck Duck said...

I was schooled.

I added some shots here, but there are lots from other women on WGS. If there are any flattering shots of me over there I'll steal them.

The Good Luck Duck said...

"Ba maa pii"? What is the origin? I like the sentiment.

cruzin2some said...

GO Texas!!!!!

Looks like everyone is having great fun. Puttin' your boots in the oven don't make you a biscuit?

That's a new one on me!

Travel Safe
Dawn and Denise

Handmade Crafts Done While RVing Blog said...

Not only did you learn something but you lived it and lived it well... Love the picture and hope to make my story like yours some day!!

Evielynne

Anonymous said...

Maria, we (well... *I*) often refer to the Ithaca version as "eminem." :-)

Pics are gorgeous.

Free wife??? Hmm. Isn't the one you have free??

Hugs,

Em

dirtyduck said...

yay you guys are having fun! im so happy for you! and a meet up! id be so nervous and excited!
creeks stay on all night?...what about stars?

Michael Ultra said...

Did you use microsoft 'Live Writer'? It will let you do that stuff.

Kimbopolo said...

Fun! Hope the group does it again next year (and that I can attend).

Sue Malone said...

that looks like some seriously wonderful fun! really. what a great looking bunch of women having a great time together in a beautiful forest. reminds me of those old Michigan days.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a seriously fun meet-up!

Unknown said...

Ah, meeting new people that you miss like old friends...a bittersweet part of the journey. I had to re-evaluate everything I ever thought about my being a loner as I cried my way out of El Paso last month.

¡Vizcacha! said...

Maggie, she may be cheap, but she ain't free.

Duck, the moon was so bright I couldn't even see stars, so I can't vouch for their 24/7-ness.

Aw, Sue, I'd say "sorry," but it's not really a sorry situation, is it?

Unknown said...

Nope. I'm going back in the fall and the cowboy says he'll still be there.