Monday, June 20, 2011

Test, but you can read it if you want to. There is actual content, and a picture.


Benchmarking is a natural companion to geocaching. Benchmarks thrill me a little more than geocaches, because these markers were never intended for a general audience, and so are not always in perfect hiding places. This one is an exception; it's located in Jacksonville Beach, ON Jacksonville Beach. The point is that the markers weren't put there for anyone's amusement, so they feel like a discovery for real. They're sometimes on people's lawns, for example. I followed the clues for a rural benchmark in New York and ended up peering through someone's mown grass to get a better look. I knocked on the door and asked permission to get closer, and the elderly man said 'yes,' but warned me that the government wouldn't like me taking a picture of it, since it was part of a covert operation. It sounds funny, but that benchmark was mounted in a raised concrete monument about five inches high in the middle of his yard, and that man had been trimming around it for 60 years. I'd start to invent reasons why I had had to do that 720 times, wouldn't you?

I'm trying a new way of emailing pictures to Blogger. We'll eventually be back in conservation mode.

ETA: This time I could send a picture, but no words. Words, no pictures. Pictures, no words. When will there ever be a tasty casserole of both?

16 comments:

Gaelyn said...

I don't really search for them, but if spotted always get a picture. It's like proof I was there somehow.
Covert operation, hmmmm....

The Good Luck Duck said...

Hi Gaelyn!

I do both, and then I log them online to show off.

brad said...

i vote for words and pictures at the same time.

Tesaje said...

I love finding those too. Yeah - a govt conspiracy to map the land and put down physical markers at the actual map points. The inability of so many people to make the most basic sensible connections is amazing. The NWS was routinely accused of hiding proof of aliens because of the weather satellites too. roll eyes...

The Good Luck Duck said...

Okay, Brad, your vote has been logged, but I'm sorry to say it's not looking good.

Tesaje, I watched Michael Shermer talk about conspiracy theories, and how they're linked to our natural tendency to see patterns where there are none. It's fascinating what we believe, and why.

squawmama said...

We have also seen many on our travels but have never really hunted for them... This is interesting! Thanks for the info~
Have fun & Travel safe
Donna

Travels with Emma said...

Perhaps your wanted casserole is more like a 'pass-a-dish dinner.' Everyone brings something to the table! :)

pidge said...

I am sooooo ready for that casserole!!!

pidge said...

Sorry, I also meant to answer your question. My header picture is of a farm in Palouse Country,WA. I got the picture online, but do hope to visit the area some day. I agree, it is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

"I'm trying a new way of emailing pictures to Blogger. We'll eventually be back in conservation mode."

Try Posterous.com. It is the easiest way to post by email to blogger. It just works.

Bob

¡Vizcacha! said...

So, I'm hearing you all say that you'll bring a potato, two onions and a couple of pictures to the next post. I can see this working out, if one of you brings the cheap wine.

Bob, how do you use Ponderous to post to Blogger? It seems to offer me only the chance to move the blog over there.

michael ultra said...

Girls, This is just a test comment. There is actual content. Sort of. You can read it if you want to. (Gotcha, cause you just did.) Peace..out!

Sherry said...

Ok I didn't even know what benchmarks were until you posted this. Color me ignorant. So I guess now that I've googled it, I can start looking too. See what you've started. Shame on you!

The Good Luck Duck said...

Squawmama, did you guys go to Ichetucknee yet? I'll have to go scour your blog to see.

Michael, sorry - I didn't have time to read your whole comment. I heard rumors that there was no actual content.

Sherry, they're not as sexy as geocaches, so fewer people hunt them. But, they can be found again and again! Don't forget to log your finds, too.

Anonymous said...

Very versitile of you to include both words and pics! And I LOVE the whole conspiracy line. More please...I'm all for little green men and all associated business :)
Nina

¡Vizcacha! said...

Nina, they say you can't have it all ... but they don't say I can't. Would you like to hear my theory that Egyptian mummies were really extraterrestrials? That Sasquatch came from BHA and BHT in shredded wheat?