Monday, June 6, 2011

Vultures and Annie's hair

Photobucket
MEOW.

Talking to my son on the phone:

Yeah, go ahead and send ... oh!  Sorry, just a vulture ... oh man, two vultures.  So, drop that in the mail ...  oh my god, three vult ... FOUR!!  There are FOUR VULTURES ... 
Mom, don't spoil tomorrow's blog post for me.




Annie has been out of the workaday, button-down office lifestyle for three months, and she's starting to relax.
Photobucket
I AM smiling.
Her hair is starting to relax, too.
Photobucket


A few of our friends have asked us to have a travel map.  I wanted one that beams our exact location like you cool Datastorm people, but that felt like a big bucket of TMI.  Absolute best would be a map where we could plot precise coordinates after we had left a boondocking site.  Now we have settled for a vague map for indicating roughly, in a general way, more or less where we are or have been.  If you want to know our precise physical coordinates, phone us;  we'll make up numbers on the spot after we blow the whistle into your ear.

Here's where we've waddled.  There should be a map on the sidebar, unless you have AdBlock.

A couple of times a week we go into town to watch TV.  My mom shakes her head.  She understands not having TV - they haven't gotten reception for years - but she doesn't understand going out to watch it.  We subscribe to Hulu Plus to see just the shows we like, and they stack up in a pile waiting for us to get to town.  [BREAKING NEWS:  I went to get the link, and I found out YOU can get two free weeks to try it out, and GIVE US two weeks free at the same time. A freakin' twofer!  That's why the link is obnoxiously trebucheted and emboldened now. Everything is going my way today.]

Ech.  This will gross you out.  Have you ever seen anything so huge?  Look at the legs on that thing!  I want to vomit.  Phil says the heat lets everything grow bigger.
Photobucket

Now, check out the bug!

Extreme grasshopper close-up, for Rob and Sean:
Photobucket


I have a sinus headache which I am treating with reflexology and neck auto-massage.  What self-care do you use that you don't tell people about?


22 comments:

Steven said...

By any chance did you hear grasshopper say "I am Caine, I will help you?".

The Good Luck Duck said...

He was too busy clapping with one hand.

Anonymous said...

As a long time headache owner, I think I may have finally eliminated one source - lack of water. Now that I've made a conscious effort to drink 6-8 glasses a day, my headaches are minimal (usually getting only the stress kind).

Tesaje said...

Sinus anything is backed up mucus and infection. Uggg. I don't have them since I started a daily nasal rinse using a 10% saline/baking soda solution with xylitol added in. I use the same amount of xylitol as salt/baking soda (about 1/2t. / cup warm water) and snort to rinse and clean out the sinuses. Xylitol cleans up the bacteria and viruses very well.

The Good Luck Duck said...

*asks for water* Good point. Even in the heat I neglect that.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Do you use a neti pot, or something else like a squeezee bottle?

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Olive leaf for natural anti biotic/fungal viral infections and a trip to Mexico for pharmacueticals.

Hydration is HUGELY important in fighting off migraines!

The grasshopper cool. I remember picking grasshoppers up as a kid getting grasshopper pee(?) on my hand.

Cyndi & Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

Kimbopolo said...

Are you sure there's not a nuclear reactor nearby? That's one big f-ing grasshopper!

Kimbopolo said...

BTW, to answer you question, there was no word verification test for your comments.

pidge said...

You should try the neti pot. They come with the solution already made, and they really work. Nice BUG!!!

Sherry said...

Great Annie pic! LOVE IT!!
You look SOOOO relaxed. LOL

Sherry
www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

Downwind Nicole said...

Blogger, I am trying to forgive you. ONE more time. Knock three times if you accept.

Kate said...

Fab Grasshopper!
Yes, water is a good prophylactic for headaches. I use 'Maxalt' for migraines. It's turned my life around.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Cyndi, you had me at "trip to Mexico." Is the olive leaf something you take internally, or do you use it topically? By "hydration," you mean "beer," right?

Kim, the conniption I had when I saw that bug was immense and messy. Plus, he's BIG and UNPREDICTABLE - he could have jumped right on me. Thanks about the word thingy, too. I'm getting some spam, but the Blogger/Google spamtrap is pretty good without extra protection.

Katherine, Annie gets migraines and only in the past few years has she gotten Imitrex (also a triptan). Not a perfect solution, but so much better than the alternative. Also helpful to her: magnesium and a B-complex supplement + don't go to work.

Pidge, I'm not against neti pots, and may end up trying one. People say it is less unpleasant than a squeeze bottle.

Sherry, the day she actually takes an afternoon nap, I will consider her "recovered" from her old, "productive" life.

DW, Blogger is very, very sorry. So sorry.

Four Windows with a View said...

I notice that you have an advertisement for Berkey Filters. Did you end up buying one? I went online and checked it out after you posted about it way back when. If you did buy it, what do you think of it? I'm thinking it would be better than carrying around two 5-gallon filled water bottles, unless you say otherwise.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Jeana, I still haven't bought one, and I'm thinking now's the time, while we're still parked in one place. It seems like someone did buy one after we talked about it - I'd like to hear how she's liking it. She bought one of the stainless models.

Sue Malone said...

Sinus headache...under the shower head, high pressure, hottest water I can stand...usually does it, at least while I am under the water. Not sure how this will work in your RV however, hard to get enough water and power. Maybe try the camp shower? I love those grasshoppers, saw them in Florida as well, they are so big you could keep one as a pet.

Lynne (WinnieViews) said...

Hey Ducks!
A pretty easy tool I use alot to keep track of exact map locations (boondocking, photo sites, tip planning or whatever) is Google's My Maps (it's a link off of their main Google Maps page). You can create as many maps as you like and can choose whether or not to make them public or keep them private. Each map point lets you add text notes or even hyperlinks. Best of all-- it's free :-)

The Good Luck Duck said...

Malone, I think the camp manager (Mom) would let me take a long, hot shower. Water comes out of that head in a punishing barrage of angry molecules ... maybe that's not what my sinuses are begging for? I'm starting to suspect a virus, too.

Lynne, that's a good idea. It would probably let me embed it, too?

The Good Luck Duck said...

Jeana, I just checked that Berkey link, and the deal has changed. I think they're a good company, but I'm not sure they're the best deal anymore, depending on what model you're looking for. Right now, we're leaning toward my man Grant's store, http://getpreparedstuff.ecrater.com/ for the small model we've decided on.

meowmomma said...

I hate grasshoppers and any bugs that crunch when they need to be killed cuz I don't really like bugs...

I've had sinus surgery three times and no longer have a sense of smell so I feel I'm somewhat of an authority, if I do say so myself! lol Only use bottled water if you use anything to clean out your sinuses!!! That's very important. I have a nasal irrigator, something like a waterpic, and I love it. I nuke the water for a bit to get it kinda like body temp and use kosher salt in it.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have too! Good luck!!!!! Duck!

The Good Luck Duck said...

Thanks, MeowMomma. I'm sorry that you lost your smells; three times is a lot of surgeries. Does your NasalPic (SORRY!) have a power jet thing, or is it more quiescent? I just got on the neti-wagon to give it a try, and it's a ... different feeling. Not bad, not good. I haven't been using distilled water, though.