Sunday, December 11, 2011

In 1814 we took a little trip (singing optional)

You people have been cracking me up lately.  I was going to ask you to caption these photos for me, but I have control issues.

Photobucket
Add caption

Annie's aunt and cousin live in Chalmette, a suburb of New Orleans.  We rolled in early afternoon and they met us to show us their town.
Photobucket
Good looking family!

Photobucket
A ferry on the Mississippi River!



Photobucket
The Mississippi River!


Photobucket
A Carnival Cruise ship in the Mississippi River!


Photobucket
The Mississippi River!

I should have let you caption.

Photobucket
Crawfish po-boy.  Gumbo did not survive until picture day.


Photobucket
Why, Roxanne? Why? Because we stared at him until Elaine figured out it was a Corvair.  

Photobucket
A twofer.  Annie's relatives demonstrating the proper use of our new living room furniture.


I asked goofy questions, like "What does a levee look like?" and Elaine drove us to some.  We saw neighborhoods that had been under nine feet of water.  Many people abandoned homes after so much destruction, so the town tore them down and removed the slabs;  now they're empty lots.  Every house had sustained enough damage to be completely gutted or razed.  

The Battle of New Orleans?  Fought at Chalmette.  I displayed my extensive knowledge of the battle by asking if it was part of the Revolutionary War.  Then I sang a bit of Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans" to further impress the crowd:



Thanks, Elaine and June, for a fun time!  I don't know if you read this, but big wave!  




15 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

Caption for picture of the puddy tat: White Line Fever

The Good Luck Duck said...

*applause*

Nan said...

Caption : recalculating

The Good Luck Duck said...

Haha! Said in a judgemental, exasperated voice.

Karyn-Lee said...

*caption* are we there yet???

Prof. Bleen said...

Someone's in the catbird seat!

Jim and Sandie said...

Let's get this show on the road!! Love the Corvair. Haven't seen one in years.

Bob said...

OK, what's with the crazy white fur hats in the video? If they're coon skin hats, I've never heard of albino coons. Just saying.

Bob Giddings said...

"What is this? "Good Mom, Bad Mom?" First with the 12V, now the pink book? You're starting to get on my nerves!"

Steven said...

"I don't want to put the lotion in the basket! This game sucks!"

Unknown said...

The cat's expression is the same as my kid's was when he said, "I didn't ask to be born."

The Good Luck Duck said...

Yay! I knew all yours would be better than mine. Although, Bob G and Steve, you scare me a little ... and I like it!

Bob, that whole video was pretty fancy, especially the death choreography. And, Sue, I see it all. My kid said the same thing, with the same expression. Do you suppose every kid says that same thing with that same expression?

squawmama said...

Looks like you had fun with the auntie and all....
Travel safe
Donna

Jan Goldfield said...

Nothing like a tour of the Ninth Ward by Chalmations to lift your spirits. You can see what Katrina did to our city. It will not recover.
We are all Katrina survivors and even 6 years later, have neither recovered nor forgotten. But unlike the city, we will recover. We just don't know when.

Sherry said...

Caption: Johnny WHO?

Mighty Mississip looks fabulous. Can't say the same for Johnny. Is that White buckskin? And how come his lips are movin' funny??