Wednesday, May 30, 2012

An accidental theme

Flagstaff occupies the largest contiguous Ponderosa pine [butterscotch tree] forest in the world.


I tell you that to assuage your growing suspicion that life is passing you by while you read this blog. Occasionally, I will include redeeming bits of information to assuage you harder.

We follow an RVing page on Facebook who just revealed the two of them used 60 gallons (2-30 gallon totes) of laundry on a ten-day camping trip. Look, I'm no one to judge. Still, you can tell I'm judging a tiny bit, can't you? I'm a flawed individual, and these are clean, clean people. Maybe they are teenagers; that's the detail that would pull it all together.

[On the off chance you clean, clean people read this blog: just kidding! You guys were the nattiest campers in the park! You know I'm just jealous.]

Annie was explaining to the cousins that we don't heat up much water. Stove-top for washing dishes, and if the weather is hot enough we don't bother heating water for our showers, which we take using a lawn sprayer.  Lori didn't look even slightly shocked or horrified, but graciously offered us hot showers on the spot. I guess it's good that I didn't mention we were no-poo. That could have made inroads in her equanimity. I've got to admit, all that hot water was pretty great. Thanks!

Annie just read to me that it takes 37 gallons of water to make a roll of toilet paper. Can this be true?? You could shower for eighteen minutes with that much water, although that wouldn't be an effective substitute for an entire roll. I'll have to think more about this.

Photobucket
What happens when I think too long about toilet paper.
Photobucket
It wears itself out before nightfall, and then we're left in the dark.

Photobucket 

Trucks have been porting these potties into the forest for days. What you may not see here is that they have all the doors pointed IN, so that they are INaccessible. Today, they began hauling them back out again, unused (as far as I could tell). 



Photobucket


Photobucket
These trees could be sold to make toilet paper.


Photobucket
My hooves do not fall through! Annie convinced me to try, and that's one more thing crossed off my Blech-it list.


Photobucket
This ends badly for someone. Enough said.


Photobucket
That's us! I obscured the license plates for safety.
That concludes today's post, which took one pint of water and a Coor's Light to produce.


26 comments:

Brenda A. said...

Nature, cute cats, bugs doing bug things, porta-potties and your very own cute self. That's a whole lot of photo variety there! Glad you didn't leave anything out.

There are ways to squander less toilet paper. And that's all I have to say about that. :)

John Going Gently said...

lesbian school eh?
you certainly do not have to go to photography school
you have a lovely artistic eye

The Good Luck Duck said...

John, you are FAST! Yes, I was dismayed to see dancers first. And, thank you very much!

Brenda, I believe you are correct about the toilet paper squander, and that's all I have to say about THAT. For now.

Andra Watkins said...

I think I am crying from laughing. I'm still laughing too much to tell.........

The Good Luck Duck said...

Andra, I do hope that's why you're crying, and not that I just reminded you of several minutes spent here that you will never get back.

Jim and Sandie said...

Haul 'em in, haul 'em out. Sounds like a good paying job to me. Kind of like when I lived in DC, the bricks in the road in front of our office building were dug up and put down on a continuous basis. Guess somebody's nephew needed a job. We're in Flagstaff tonight - on to Kanab tomorrow.

Russ Krecklow said...

Reading your blog is like going to a day spa...I get a full assuage, and a nice warm shower! What more could a person want or need, now I ask you!! Thanks again for sharing all of the wonderful information that it's so difficult to find anywhere else...and your photos are simply the best.

Spotted Dog Ranch: said...

Beautiful photo of the Sego lily. The rest were pretty good, too, except the portapotties.

Kimbopolo said...

Are you on the porta-potty trail at round-up time? I bet it's a majestic sight when they are all herded together at sunrise for another long day on the trail. How many "head" are there? OK - I'll stop now.

The Good Luck Duck said...

You people are cracking me up! Kim, that's hilarious. I guess it's the kind of breathtaking scene that only occurs out West.

Chinle, you're in a lot of pain, and I'm going to assume that's why you didn't like the port-a-let shot. And, thanks for the flower name!

Russ, I'm glad you chose the She-Ought-Zoo assuage - that's our specialty. And, thank you. I like to think our information is esoteric. You are one of the chosen.

Jim and Sandie, that's just what we said. If you never let 'em get dirty, you could haul them around all day long for a few bucks. I began to consider my career path. Enjoy Kenab!

Teri said...

I think someone got a very good $$ contract with the government to provide porta-potties and are hoping no officials see that they are not useable. Who wants to clean them? The flower looks like a passion flower, but I think the passion flower is a vine.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Ooh, Teri, you thickened the plot! Why else would they deliver so many potties, and not arrange them door-out before they left? Sinister!

Gaelyn said...

Hope you weren't near the fire. Could be why the porties were delivered, and not even composters.

I usually beg friends that have them to use their bathtubs and then luxuriate for hours. Or until I'm totally pruned.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Oh, now we didn't consider this. We were near a small fire over the weekend (not that we knew it then). Do you mean that they brought in the potties to set up a camp for the firefighters? And didn't turn the doors around?

Al Bossence said...

No hot water means no shower for this guy. Absolutely hate cold water on my skin. Some days I am such a Wuss..........

Sherry said...

It's the variety of tales and ideas whizzing through your post that keeps me coming back for more. Although now I'm ready to assume picture position #1. Tell cat to move over. Send directions to that gorgeous campsite.

Grace said...

"These trees could be sold to make toilet paper."

I love the pine forest so much that I've told my family to cremate me and sprinkle me in the forest. Just be sure it's not one that will be cut down to make toilet paper! Wouldn't that just be my luck!

Grace

¡Vizcacha! said...

Grace, thousands of rolls of toilet paper would be haunted by your enraged ghost. Kimberley-Clark would have to call in Charmers for their Charmin.

Sherry, I love the way you describe my consistent lack of cohesion. The cat says you're welcome anytime, but you have to work in around him.

HoboJoe said...

..."to assuage your growing suspicion that life is passing you by while you read this blog."
Immediately after I stopped laughing (which ironically occurred while viewing the "disguised license plate" photo), I realized that sentence was not the slightest bit funny :)

¡Vizcacha! said...

HoboJoe, I know it. It's the kind of thing that's funny because it's true, then it's not funny because it's true.

Anonymous said...

A friend from England brought me back a roll of (part)cashmere toilet paper. Uh, it really is lovely. ~Mary

The Good Luck Duck said...

Wow. Great Britain is a majestic nation. Even her goats keep calm and carry on.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Al, a man's gotta do what man's gotta do. It's possible you wouldn't like our lawn sprayer, either, but at least I can get it as hot as I want it.

Cheryl said...

Since I'm in my Toyota Dolphin, I might have to try the lawn sprayer. I use my shower currently for "storage" and just do sponge baths or showers at parks.

Interesting that you wrote about Temple Grandin. I met her at a conference on Autism in El Paso a few years back and she gave me a signed copy of her book. I've "just" been re-reading it...

Anonymous said...

I love your writing style - makes me laugh every day! thank you!

The Good Luck Duck said...

Cheryl, give it a try. You may find it a good intermediate between the sponge bath and the full park shower.

How cool that you met her! It's fascinating the way she writes about herself - so candid - and how she understands that she thinks about things differently than the average Joe.

Anonymous, thank you!