Sunday, September 28, 2014

Socorro, NM to Datil. Not suitable for grasshoppers under 18.

We spent a few days in Socorro, and I found more to it than I expected. Like a lot of New Mexico towns, it has a historic district with a plaza.




Historic coffee and bran muffins



























San Miguel mission

Hundreds of years of history, blah, blah, blah, et cetera. I HAVE A DRIVEWAY!!!

Before: non-driveway


Spud AT CABIN!!!

After: drivable driveway
 We built a road!

My address: 62
More thanks than I can say to Wolfgang, who frequently reminds me that Germans are technicians.

Having a driveway means a lot of things to me. Easy electronics-charging "at home" (instead of a hundred-yard trek up the hill). Easy grocery unloading. Deliveries are now possible. Did I forget something in the car? No problem - it's right there!

I am pleased. So pleased.

I am even more pleased than this couple. For different reasons, naturally.

I wish I had this many hands to clap with glee.

I'm, you know ... pleased.

Gratuitous lichen shot



Wolfgang Rebesky, from Bavaria





15 comments:

Kate said...

GRATUITOUS LICHEN SHOT

Also yay driveway!

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!! :D

JO said...

Socorro on my 55 gl. drum list.

Nice driveway happy for you. No more hiking with arms full.

SwankieWheels said...

Nice, you are a funny funny fun person.

Anonymous said...

Ah the simple pleasures -- how many folks in civilized places can see a driveway as such a gift? And OMG -- have you ever seen so many grasshoppers? Everywhere I walk, there's a cloud in front of me. Must be because of above-normal rain? Crazy!
Renee

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

First a house, then a bed, now a driveway. What's next???

The picture of the grasshoppers is stunning!

Linda said...

Wow, you're really rocking! Welcome to the last 100 yards of your home. :)

Jodee Gravel said...

Always love your small town pics - the art is so fun in Socorro! Spud must feel so much better in the dark now - knowing you're only a few feet away. Soooo are you getting a snow shovel next?

Anonymous said...

Woofgang Who? Is that the 2 in 2 of you.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Mysterious Inquirer, Wolfgang is the "he" who turns "me" into "we."

Jodee, bite your finger!

Thanks, Linda! It's a great place, this last 100 yards.

Cyndi, whatever's next has got to be spectacular

Renee, will you be spending the fall/winter here? When my time is less limited, we must meet.

LOL! Thanks, Swankie!

Jo, it's SUCH a boon for me.

Maggie, IK,R???

Yay, Kate!

www.gypsyandthenavigator.com said...

Spending a day in Socorro next week. Thanks for the beautiful pictures. Should be a great visit for us. What a difference a driveway makes. Easier to get to home sweet home.

stillhowlyn said...

Now I'm happy!

sl said...

Congratulations!
I so look forward to your blog posts. ... I think we are on similar paths

Karyn-Lee said...

Love thei "history lesson" - what does your new digs look like inside?
Spud might be lonely.

Anonymous said...

We'll be here until a couple days before Thanksgiving -- at least that's the current plan. We'll be wintering (wow -- doesn't that sound ritzy?) in Congress. Drop me a "chat" message & we'll see what we can arrange. As you've discovered, there aren't a whole lot of meeting place options here!
Renee