Friday, January 28, 2011

Cleaning my things, dumping my stuff.

I have things to say today, and this guy says them better. He's writing my posts from now on.

It made me think of how sad we both were to see our comfy couch go down the road this weekend on the top of a van. We haven't sat together on the couch for months; we had to defur it before anyone could enter the house. Still, all I could remember was how carefully we shopped for it, how we saved our money so we could sit on it without thinking of debt, how we selected fabric for fur repellency (oops). It fit perfectly on the only couch wall. We chose it for a different time, a different home and different dreams, and it's those things I am grieving. Something's gotta give. I don't regret changing course or climbing down the ladder of the American Dream, but those dreams were real, too, and they don't go without struggle or tears.

My son will rent the little house, and is glad to keep a few pieces that we've been stuck on. The Victorian curly-maple secretary that my mother gave me 25 years ago, an ugly thing when she got it, but beautiful under the paint. He'll keep a thick-planked bookcase of Annie's that was her first adult purchase.  He'll use our awesome Ultimate Bed (we have one in the Duck, or I would not be going).  What he won't keep are the cats. Okay, he'll try one, but that's IT.

POLL: What do you think of this new comment set-up? Sassy already gave it a razzberry. I like it because you guys can play amongst yourselves and make new little friends, and I can stick my head in and say TURN THAT NOISE DOWN!!! I don't like it because I have to introduce myself every single time and I'm all dood, we just met 30 seconds ago in that other comment.

17 comments:

Cruzin2some said...

We understand 100%. It is hard getting rid of that STUFF. But it's just STUFF and you'll replace it with tons of memories and new adventures. At least that's what we keep saying everytime we sell something!

Travel Safe
Dawn & Denise

Roxanne said...

Thanks for the comforting words. Yes, I suspect you're completely right, but I still hit these tough pockets of resistance in myself. You guys, too?

Alphonse said...

Have you thought about how the couch feels? I think I can relate to it.

Roxanne said...

Rejected? Furry? Yakked-on? What?

Merikay said...

Getting rid of stuff is a two year process for me. I started last year about this time and try to get rid of something every day! If I move something from the house to the "flea market pile in the garage it counts as gone.

So far I've only dealt with lots of little stuff. We need the furniture for now. I know my husbands 2000 books and records will go into storage. What I am also doing is keeping a list book. As I decide what we need to do with something I write it down. Makes it almost like getting rid of it. I guess I'm saying good-by very slowly.

I hear your pain about the couch. I look at our living room furniture purchased for this house 22 yars ago and still think of it as my "new" furniture!

Froggi Donna said...

Just had to try the new comment to see how it works! LOL!!

Froggi Donna said...

Strange that it doesn't interface with our Google profiles...don't think I'll be using it on my blog. I love finding new blogs to read by clicking folks blogger profiles.

Sue and Doug said...

nellie on Midlife Cruiser has this set up too..me?..I like the old way..but what ever suits your fancy!!..I will still comment no matter what!..sorry to hear you are sad to see your stuff go!...

Suzanne said...

Hi, Roxanne -- I am right there with you, having my first of what is to be many "ebay weekends." But life is about making memories. Think of how nostalgic you will feel one day when it is time to upgrade the Duck. Think about the many wonderful memories you and Annie are about to make where you will look back on those Duck Days and say, "Wow, those were some GREAT times!" The couch may be gone, but the memories will be with you forever (at least until we hit senility! LOL!) So go make some wonderful new mobile memories!

Can't wait to see you on the road one day!

Suzanne

Roxanne said...

Good luck on eBay! What's your name - I might want to buy something ... ahahaha! And, yes, you're absolutely right. I want to do some cool stuff to think about later. And, I'll have this same hard time when it's time for the Duck to go.

See you out there!

Roxanne said...

It is the same - she copied me before I did it. If you'll keep commenting, that's what matters to me. I'm trying to foster conversation, not just with me, but with other commenters, and this seems friendly that way.

Thanks. I know I'll get past it, but stuff is stuff. I'm keeping my things.

Roxanne said...

Yeah, I see that as a problem, too. If a commenter clicks the link that asks them to enter their blog address, they can add that, but it does leave it up to them, and not everyone wants to bother with that extra layer. I'll do it for this comment, so you can see how it shows up with my URL.

Roxanne said...

It takes so long, doesn't it?? We've been doing this for years, long before we knew we wanted to hit the road. We just knew we wanted to live smaller, which is why we bought our tiny house. And, deciding what to do with it is BIG. I run out of mental space before I run out of physical steam. A book is a good idea.

Roxanne said...

Annie thinks you mean feeling left behind? Do you guys feel that way?

I think I'm focusing on stuff so much because I can't begin to process parting with friends. In fact, I have to end this comment now.

Sassys Rv said...

Well SASSY still doesn't like the new format !! LOL And Bennie - well he's said he's not even talkin' to you guys anymore !!

As for getting rid of stuff and things, strangeley I didn't have any problem with that ?? I have a few wall hangings stored at my Mother's but other than that nothing. Then again I'm a wee bit strange anyways !! LOL

The Good Luck Duck said...

Even Bennie isn't speaking to me?? Oh noes. Is there anything about the new format I could tweak so Bennie would like it more?

Sassys Rv said...

NOPE (Bennie says). He's OLD and likes things the same old way. Besides it took 'him' forever to figure out Blogging to begin with and now something NEW !! Now me, well I could probably adjust....NOT LOL