Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Solar fridge fan update (Annie)

It's been a little over five weeks since I installed the solar fan in the compartment behind the fridge (I don't know what happened to the formatting in that post, Blogger!).  Right after I wrote that post, I defrosted the fridge for a fresh start.  It needed it badly.  The very next day I was able to turn the fridge setting down one level and that's where it's been since, and it's colder at this lower setting than it was before the fan install.  I'm also not getting any frost build up in the fridge which is awesome considering that normally by this time I'd have so much ice build up as to completely cover the fins.  Huge difference.

I'd call this project an absolute success.  It has exceeded my expectations and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.  If you're on the fence about tackling this mod, I say go for it!  You won't be disappointed. And it's a pretty easy mod besides.  Win-win!

11 comments:

Merikay said...

Good job.

¡Vizcacha! said...

I hadn't noticed it, but you're right - no icy build-up on the fins. I wonder if it would stay ice-free without the internal fan, or am I just living in a fantasy world?

High knuckles all around!

Sherry said...

Sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for the follow up. Few things have no down side but this looks to be one of them.

Anonymous said...

Cafeteria Ladies love to lick the crumbs off of dirty refrigerator shelves. Double duty. Dinner + Cleanup.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I'm your newest follower.

Anonymous said...

P.P.S. Don't remove the ice from the fins. Where do you think Cafeteria Ladies like me get our daily dose of H2O?

¡Vizcacha! said...

Sherry, we did have to pay for the fan, so there's that. Still, it's not really a downside, just a tiny incline at the outset.

Cafeteria Lady, I knew you'd find me eventually. You haunted my dreams, with your hairnet and your ladle full of mashed potatoes. I even ate those canned green beans for you. Welcome!

Anonymous said...

I would like to do this too! Where did you get the fan and Solar thingy?

Annie said...

kayjulia, we got the internal fan, the one you hook to the fins inside the fridge, from a vendor on ebay.

The external solar fan was an Amazon purchase.

Have fun!
Annie

Anonymous said...

Thank you ! I wanted to know because this is a project I would like to do to my rig as I camp in the SW a lot and the fridge could use some help.

I'm ordering it tonight :)

Happy Trails !!!

Annie said...

Excellent! You won't regret it.