Monday, October 8, 2012

Autumn boondocking in Flagstaff,AZ

If you're spending the summer at higher elevations, don't leave too soon. Fall here will make your eyes fall out of your head on Slinkies, like in cartoons. Aaa OOOH ga!

Nights are chilly now, and we'll be heading warmward this week. 

thegoodluckduck.com
From the top of Humphrey's Peak


Photobucket
Background: North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Hi Gaelyn!


Photobucket
Ski lift


Photobucket
We're not as carefree as it would seem. This is the same smile she wore when she dumped the toilet last week.


Photobucket
Don't put your foot so far out there!


Photobucket
It's easy to lose clothing during the ride.


Photobucket
You KNOW I did.




Photobucket
Note rigid limbs and magical thinking.

The chairs travel about 50 feet up. Annie felt that was unnecessary extravagance, and thought they should have just rolled and bumped along the ground.

You'll drive to the bottom of the ski lift, which is at 9500 feet. The lift will take you another 2000' to the summit, which is 11,500 feet. It's an entirely different climate at the top, so take more clothes than you imagine needing. Fare is $15/person for adults.

There are warnings about heart problems. I don't have any that I know of, but after an hour or so at the peak, I felt slightly not-myself. I felt slightly the guy next to me; my trial is in December.

Photobucket
Aspen Corner. It's a popular leaf-peeping spot.



Photobucket 


Photobucket



Photobucket
Did you walk too far into the pokey place? Thistle show you!


Photobucket



Photobucket 

Technomadia compiled a blog post of "young" full-timers, and we're in it! Thanks for the shout-out, you guys! Read about other people too impatient to wait for retirement.

We're going to be interviewed by the Road Rebelles in two weeks! I KNOW! I'll be slipping extra Xanax into my bourbon before the show. 

I'll remind you again later. You can listen live, or anytime after the show at this link. If you get embarrassed for other people, I suggest you skip this episode.

This is (you knew this was coming)...
Photobucket
THE END.



27 comments:

Jim and Sandie said...

We're headed to Oak Creek Canyon tomorrow to see if any of the colors are out there yet. The nights down here in the valley are just about perfect for sleeping. Hope we see some trees as pretty as yours.

Roxanne said...

I forgot about the Canyon!! Maybe we can follow Fall south the way we followed Spring north!

Desert Diva said...

So glad you both are having fun - keep at it! :-)

Travels with Emma said...

Pretty tame 'the end' there, girl. Liked the Leaning Towers of Flagstaff. :)

VtChris said...

Great pics and intelligent dialogue as usual.

RightBrainRightLane said...

I tried leaf-peeping a couple of weeks ago - but the experience was more coughing and eye-watering as the forest fire smoke covered up the views here in the dry Pacific NW. I, too, loved the pix of Annie doing side-stretches with the local trees.

Russ Krecklow said...

Is that a personal best for you at that altitude? Great shots at ground level, great shots in the air. Adds new meaning to aerial photography! Hope you're keeping your feelings more to yourself today. I will be very interested in your upcoming interview. Don't forget, I'm a critical reviewer, and I've always liked your work!

Roxanne said...

Thanks, Cheryl! It's a dirty job, but...

Judy, I'm a complete "the end" amateur. I'll keep watching you; hopefully I'll improve, but ends aren't easy to come by!

Thanks, Chris! Hey, are you headed back to Texas this winter?

Ooh, Anne, that sounds painful. My eyes have been burning here, off and on, and it took me a long time to figure out it was from the burns.

Roxanne said...

It is, Russ! Although, I have used an airplane toilet. Thank you for the vote of confidence with the interview. I appreciate it!

Gaelyn said...

Hi right back at ya'.

Sorry I'll miss you in Flag.

Brenda A. said...

All I got to say is that I'm tickled hot pink that you guys qualify as "young full-timers"! That bodes well for us. :)

Sherry said...

I know I'm in awe of all you SMARTIES being "young full timers". And you two I can see are getting pretty famous now with yet another "guest" appearance. I don't even have your autograph yet. Sheeesh. Don't you have to join some ASCAP or something like that to be able to keep all this fame??

Rick said...

Great photos - especially those Aspens!

The Good Luck Duck said...

Me too, Gaelyn.

It bodes very well for you two, you Chickens of the Spring.

Sherry, isn't that the thing the duck says? ASCAP! I need to join the Bloggers' Guild, or something. Is my 15 minutes over yet, Andy?

Thanks, Rick! They are some stunning trees.

Kimbopolo said...

Yes please, do re-post the link after the show is taped. Unless you plan to play the ocarina.

The Good Luck Duck said...

HAHAHA! The ocarina! I didn't think of that, but it might be good to prepare a number or two so there's no dead air.

TravelBug-Susan said...

The photo that gets my vote is the one with the purple flowers!

Loved your commentary, goofball.

Susan
http://travelbug-susan.blogspot.com

Bob said...

My butt was vicariously clenched on the ride up. Just so you know.

Bob said...

Oh and, "I felt slightly the guy next to me"?

I'm so confused.

Prettypics123 said...

You guys are too funny! Love that clothing in the trees! Thanks for being so supportive of me!

GiGi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Good Luck Duck said...

Gigi, your (missing) comment is very revealing. Tee hee! I guess that explains it, except for how it got twined up in the tree like that.

Levonne, you're entirely welcome. If you'll let me know about your website and FB page, etc., I'll do my little part to help you network.

Bob, I blame the lack of oxygen. In fact, that's my entire defense. And, I expected no less of your butt.

HAHA Susan! And, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, being at super high altitude, it's easy to get light headed/a little sick, but I'm sure the views were so worth it. Love the photography in this post.

Poppy said...

I enjoy your post...always educational and entertaining! The photos you post have such deep color and so much depth. Just wondering what camera you use? Thanks for the fun and carry on...

The Good Luck Duck said...

Thank you, Poppy - I'm glad! I use a little point 'n' shoot Pentax Optio RX18 and I edit with iPhoto.

I think that's what happened, Somer. I just felt a little disoriented and off-balance. Thank you!

stillhowlyn said...

Absolutely great post. You are very brave to take that chair lift, coming from one who is slightly height-challenged. We are taking your advice and heading to higher altitudes for those fall colors...oh, and some hot springs!

The Good Luck Duck said...

Thanks, Lynda. Hot springs sound excellent right now! Will you reveal their location?