Friday, January 31, 2020

Hanging high and laying low: Roswell, New Mexico

What cracks and breaks every day, but is never really damaged?

Many dawns crack and break over me in Roswell, New Mexico lately, so why not show you some pictures? No, I'm really asking for reasons, or else it will happen.

We recently decided to take in the Anderson Museum of Contemporary Art (AMoCA). Lacking a certain museum aesthetic, I held few expectations but was willing to suffer like a grown-up for an hour or so. But, instead of my emotions erupting in a tantrum demanding to go to the gift shop, I felt overwhelmed by the art. Possibly the same way art people explain why art is important.

Don Anderson (about to celebrate his 101st birthday) is patron to six artists a year, who live on-campus and are financially supported while they concentrate on their art.






I like looking at these people, and have already judged them.

































The way the dawn cracks and breaks...




...on a horse tummy




Don Anderson




There's nothing to sphere...woodn't you agree?












La Lotaria




Don Anderson

I felt exhausted after an hour, and vowed to return.

I ate a perfect Thai red curry tonight at Lemongrass Thai. Not keto. 

My favorite thrift store is the Assistance League of Chaves County

They seem to say "Chaves" like "CHAvez" here. Datil need not comment. I think places name themselves to reveal newcomers.

Roswell sits on the edge of the Chihuahuan desert and the Great Plains.





9 comments:

Harriet said...

It’s been awhile. Interesting art! The guy on the 18 wheeler’s cab could have been a plumber on the side from the look of it. Especially like the person standing in front of the painting of the lady in the chair. All in all, thanks for the walk through of the museum, much enjoyed.
Having fun and exploring is good for the soul.

Check out my Mimi art gallery. http://halmaygalleries.blogspot.com/

Barb Dewell said...

I love all the paintings - I feel like I was there! Thanks for the tour. :)

Shadowmoss said...

I have been trying to re add your blog to my sidebar. I use the new address. It reverts to the old one. I delete the old one from the list. I add the new one. The old one shows up again. I renamed it (in case it shows up and you wonder...) and it still points to the old one. I'm not giving up. I have tried a few times since the switch. Not sure what is going on...

Oh, good to see you again.

¡Vizcacha! said...

Harriet, thanks for alerting us to your gallery! And, I had the same thought about Mr. Semi.

My pleasure, Barb. Thanks for checking it out! I might turn out to be a museum person after all!

Shadow, thank you for going to that effort! I experience the exact same thing when I try to put myself on my own blog roll.

Sherry said...

Ha ha - art museum gottcha and I can see why. But how did you find me? How could a blog I just started pop up in your world? I'm so glad it did but 'Splain please. And who is we??
I guess I can't put you on my blog roll. Maybe you can put me on yours. Will we be together that way? I am not a robot! This is not reserve america.

¡Vizcacha! said...

Let me see if I can 'splain xactly: I went somewhere and someone mentioned a thing that also included you ... et voila! You can certainly try to add me to your roll, and I've added you already. http://thegoodluckduck.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing. Looks like a wonderful place to spend an afternoon. Adding it to my list.

MFH said...

You must be doing SOMETHING?!!

¡Vizcacha! said...

Nothing. I'm just doing it around the state.